Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DADT Done, Don't Hold Your Breath...

Like most other gays in this country, today I am celebrating Obama's signing of the DADT repeal bill.  It is a beautiful moment.  Todays bill will allow several of my friends to serve openly, and at least one more to enter military work without having to go in the closet.  We have joined the sophisticated nations of the world in a policy which reflects modern knowledge of human behavior.  It is a step in the right direction.  But we are far from through the worst part.  We've got bigger issues ahead on the horizon.

The social conservatives in our country are reeling at this blow to their sensibilities.  They fear this moment marks some dangerous turning point in American history.  Standing on the losing side of both this and the current court case over Prop. 8, they are desperate for a victory.  Now, when America is collectively working to make sense of the new, more open national policy regarding gays in the armed forces, Conservatives have the opportunity to jump into the interim and work to pass new laws which will further discriminate.  Now is a great moment to toss away anti-discrimination laws which include members of the GLBT community or to put up for vote a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage on a more permanent basis.  We have to stay on guard over the next months and years; this bill is amazing, but its going to be the beginning of some even harder fights than the one it came out of.

4 comments:

  1. It is a good day in America.

    There is a lot of work to be done, but its nice knowing that we are at a critical point in American History in which our support of GLBT rights makes the most difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It indeed does. I am no expert, but I am a student of politics and know the thoughts of the religious right and its odd bedfellows. I imagine we are bound to see some of the worst humanity has to offer in the coming months. With the support of fine individuals such as yourself, I believe we can see positive change in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed feelings about DADT.

    This is certainly a victory for gay people. It shows that they are being more accepted in the US. On this path I am quite sure that gay marriage will be approved also (as it has been in some states) quite soon. As well as gay adoption and so forth.

    But at the same time I do not see anything that great about serving in the military. It is just not a virtuous thing for me. I do not see the army as virtuous and so I do not have any level of respect for someone who served there. So while I agree DADT is step towards treating gay people in a better way I am not so supportive of more troops.

    There is also a big level of hypocrisy between DADT and a ban on gay marriage. Gay people can end up dying for the US, but the US refuses to acknowledge their rights by taking them away from them and saying they are not as equal as other citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of the military myself, but my feelings are not the slightest bit mixed; equality is equality no matter where it comes. We can't pick and choose where we want to be equal and where we just don't care, but rather should fight for equality in all matters of life. As for the current hypocrisy, don't forget that it is one only now created by the overturning of DADT. Its an hypocrisy I hope will be rectified soon.

    ReplyDelete